Saturday, April 12, 2014

Weezer Weekend: Rivers and Me!

 Here I am! Back with Weezer Weekend part two! On Saturday, Rivers Cuomo had tweeted about going to the Johnny Cash museum at 3 pm and I figured for sure it wasn't really going to happen, or they wouldn't talk to fans. But I was wrong and when I saw a group photo of him with a big crowd of fans I was sick about it! Like I said in my earlier post, Rivers Cuomo has been one of my biggest loves for a LONG time. So when he tweeted about being at Third Man Records on Sunday, I knew I had to go! I was prepared to get there early in the morning and stake it out, but my good friend Ryan was able to get some details so we headed down about 15 minutes before Rivers was supposed to arrive.
 Here we are! At this point I don't believe it is actually going to happen. I'm sure he isn't going to show up or there will be too many people around or something. We hung out for a while, went inside and tried to use their mold o rama machine (it was broken!) and the photo booth (out of paper!) then I saw the bassist Scott in the reflection of the door and my stomach dropped to my feet.
 And then we stepped outside and there he was, little Rivers, man of my nerdy dreams. Ah! 
I talked to Scott first, he was really nice! And had a half gold tooth (the bottom half) which looked awesome! There were maybe 30 to 40 people hanging out? People were being respectful and not crowding or pushing, just politely asking for signatures and photos. Other Weezer fans might notice Karl in the background!
 Ryan took this one of me waiting for my chance to talk to Rivers. I was trying to make a funny face, but it was mostly a real face. I was shaking! Just a little, but I was very nervous that I wouldn't get my chance. Travis encouraged me to step up and talk to him.
It was awkward, as you expect, but I am so thrilled that this happened! I still can't get over it! Here I am with one of my favorite people ever! The thrill of the year!
I didn't get a shot with Brian but I love this one I took of him with my friend Marissa. Doesn't it look like they are buddies?
 She wasn't able to get one with Rivers, but this one is pretty excellent! Haha!
The reason they were there was to record a record in Third Man's booth. They have this awesome booth where for 15 bucks you can record a record and it makes it right there! Here is a great video of the proceedings. If you have eagle eyes you can spot me at 2:03. I'm one row back, the only person in frame without my phone up. I could really only see Brian's back so I figured I would be able to find a better video online once I got home. It was amazing though! I was less than 10 feet away while they recorded that one of a kind 7 inch! 
 Here was my view. Still cool. 
 They signed it when they were done and played it on the stereo. It sounds like it was recorded in the 40's. I need to think of something we can record in that booth. It's so neat!
 So there you have it! Best experience of the year so far! I'm so happy we were able to go, and I was able to meet someone who has been important to me for so long. I got them to sign my well loved Weezer wallet, and now I'm going to retire it and frame it.

7 comments:

  1. i am so stinking happy for you! that video of them is so freaking cute. they seem like such nice dudes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really bummed that I didn't go with ya'll! I was certain it was gonna be another Conan situation (not for you...ya'll got in! but for me) so I didn't go and I regret it!!! I was so happy for you though bc your face in that picture is priceless. Pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE!!!! That's so awesome, I can't even handle it. It's so exciting that you got to meet someone who had such a huge impact on you. Good for you Rae!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you got to meet Rivers. I know how much it must mean to you and WOW what a greta photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I was nervous just reading this, I hate meeting celebrities. But I'm always so stoked about it later. Yay! Glad you got a photo with Rivers. You'll treasure that for a long time I betcha. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...